Hot Alicia #10: The Ocean Tried To Kill Me

My husband and I moved to San Diego from the middle of the Mojave Desert last fall. He took to the water so quickly and picked up the ability to boogie board with the best. Once last year I tried, but basically just splashed around in the water and enjoyed getting some sun.

Now the ocean and I have always had a certain understanding. I respected it for its power and it would do little more than splash salt water into my hair. Last weekend however, the ocean felt I lost my respect, and gave me a reminder of where I belong.

Let me set the scene for this little tale. It's a beautiful Saturday afternoon, sun shining, blue sky, warm air. Ben and I arrive at the beach on the North Island military base. Aswe walk to the water, Ben tells me that the surf report said there were 1-4 foot waves. Ok, I think, no problem, I'll get this down. We unload our towels and sandals and t-shirts onto the sand, attach the arm straps and approach the water. It's icy to our toes, a warning as to the icy heart the ocean holds for me. We swim out to where the waves are breaking and let the water bobble us up and down on the surface. Ben is able to catch any wave and ride it into shore; I, however, will kick ahead of the wave and it will pass me right by. I basically suck at boogie boarding. Ben continually offers advice. "Alicia, you need to get further on the board," "Alicia, you need to kick before the wave gets to you," "Alicia, you have to be IN the water."

So with my husband's gentle instruction, I started riding small waves in. The ocean figured I had crossed the line. My growing hubris was punished by Neptune himself. The god of the sea shoved sand into my bathing suit, a reminder of where I needed to be, land. I was not meant to be on the sea.

I failed to take the hint. I kept trying. I swam out and made myself ride the waves in. It felt great! The sun beating down on my back, the cool water rushing over my body. Then I caught it. The biggest, most awesome wave I had ever ridden. It picked me up and carried me all the way to shore. The whitewater rushing and churning - and I tamed it. I stood up at shore ready to cheer. Ben was proud, I had finally followed his advice and I got a wave. It was like becoming addicted to something, I literally ran back into the water and made my way back into the water. I wanted to do it again.

"I don't think so" Neptune said. He felt I lost any respect. I thought I had tamed the ocean waves, and he needed to prove me wrong. So there I am, perched on my board, kicking as the wave rises behind me, ready to go.

The wave formed a big hand. It picked me up by my ankle, ripping the board from my grip. It threw the board into the bottom of the sea, threw me onto the board and then threw me onto the sandy bottom. It shoved salty water and sand up my nose, and somersaulted me along the ground.

When I awoke on the shore, my bathing suit was filled with sand and uncomfortably tangled around my body, I was rolled in seaweed like sushi, and I had a huge bruise across my armpit with a tailing cut going around my arm. The ocean tried to kill me. Next time I guess I'll have to bring a virgin sacrifice so that I can tame those waves and not get beat up.

Email me stories about nature trying to kill you at MrsDufay@msn.com

XOXO
Hot Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment