Deoxy #6: Talkin' 'Bout My (Crappy) Generation

DEOXY XYLOFLUX

I'm about to make a statement that will not suprise anyone: my generation is lame.
I mean, compare other generations before this one. It just seems like more chances were taken. Will you hear of any anti-war protests? Any Captain Beefhearts who take chances with experimentation while churning out metaphor rich poetry? Any Devos who make radical statements about the future of mankind? No! All I get are the "budget" versions, provided by this generation of posers who are so braindead from being raised by yuppies that they can't think of anything good on their own. I shouldn't even have to make comparisons to past generations. It just seems that instead of being radical, this generation is too content to sit below the tables of our parents like hungry dogs, eating any leftover scrap that can be thrown at us.

I yearn for something new, however, I too am forced to live in the past due to the fact that most of the bands and movies today suck, so I wallow in my punk records and try to formulate a plan...

Every time I go to Hillcrest lately, it seems that I'm living in a bizzaro version of "Austin Powers." What was so good about the sixties anyway, that they need to bring it back? I mean, Kennedy got shot, we had Vietnam, and the horrible, horrible Woodstock. Many people I've talked to who lived during that time have the same statement: "I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now." It is NOT a radical fashion statement to dress like your parents when they were beaten by cops for protesting. It even seems like that "Rolling Stones Overabundance" attitude is coming back in rock'n'roll style, too, via The Strokes. These people would be afraid to mess up their neatly tussled hair even if it meant saving their dying elderly aunt's life by giving CPR. Their stage show, which I saw unfortunately on the evil MTV was one of the most boring, vile, and apathetic I've EVER seen. But who cares when you look like a sexy holocaust survivor on heroin?

This generation is driven by looks and fashion because frankly, there isn't any substance behind the retro. That clothing was borne out of a certain time period that while had it's lame moments, was revolutionary within itself. Rock and Roll is dead, and I consider this generation to be the destroyers of it's free, limitless boundaries. Perhaps, somewhere, there is a Dylan of this generation, perhaps glued to the radiation box, with a message to the thinkers and poets that what you have been doing is not wasted. Fuck your "one hour photo" and microwave ideals. It's MY ideas that count.

Unfortunately, he's probably watching VH-1.

No comments:

Post a Comment